Monday, September 3, 2007

Putting "Suggested Tip Amounts" on Restaurant Checks

I originally thought it was tacky when a restaurant would put suggested tip amounts at the bottom of your check. You know, 15% would be this much, 20% would be this much, etc. However, I am bad at math. Especially at a restaurant after I've had a heavy meal and a glass of wine or a martini. So I've actually come to appreciate these helpful calculations as long as they are realistic. For example, I like when 15%/18%/20% are listed but not when the listing starts with 20% - too presumptuous. My husband thinks it is all ridiculous as he can do percentages quickly in his head. What do you all think?

3 comments:

Lena Gatza said...

I like it when they give the suggestions. What I don't like is when there is an 18% gratuity already added along with bad service.

Lena Gatza said...

I like the suggestions. What I don't like is an automatic 18% gratuity added right along with bad service.

Restaurant Maven said...

Lena - very true. Some restaurants add the gratuity automatically when you have as few as six people in your party.