Tuesday, September 25, 2007

My leftovers get left over

I rarely eat leftovers I bring home from restaurants. Yet, I feel compelled to ask for a "to-go" box if I liked my meal. I'm concerned that the server, or even the chef, will think I didn't like my meal if I don't ask for the remainder to go. And, with portion sizes being as large as they are, I also rarely finish my meal. So, what happens is I bring home the leftover food and put it in the refrigerator with full intentions of having it for lunch the next day or maybe as an appetizer for tomorrow's dinner. That never happens. I don't like to eat the same food two days in a row. Plus, I worry that the food won't taste as good reheated. The leftovers eventually get forgotten and I find them weeks later still in the fridge and throw them out without opening the container. Because of this, my husband has forbid me from bringing home leftovers any more. I actually like the policy because now I have something to tell the server when he or she asks if I'd like the rest of my meal to go: "No, my husband won't let me bring home leftovers anymore because they end up rotting in the fridge." I always add, "But I really liked my food" at the end, with a quick smile. You know, so they don't go and tell the chef that I hated my food. Because I'm really concerned about that for some weird reason.

No comments: